Physician (MD) Application
Only one of the following options is needed to obtain a license in Washington:
Option 1: Washington State Physician (MD) online application - for Washington State licenses only.
Option 2: Uniform Application for Physician State Licensure (UA) and Federation Credentials Verification - This application aims to improve license portability by eliminating the need for physician to re-enter information when applying for licenses in multiple states.
Option 3: Expedited licensure through the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact Commission (IMLCC) - The Interstate Medical Licensure Compact offers a new, voluntary expedited pathway to licensure for qualified physicians who wish to practice in multiple states.
Required Items to Apply
- The Washington State Department of Health requires that only the applicant or licensee may complete an attestation for an application, or for continuing education. This is a legal attestation. Completion of the attestation by anyone other than the applicant may constitute a reportable felony offense. The Department of Health can take action against people for perjury or for making a false statement they know to be false.
- In order to avoid delays, make your AMA and FSMB profile accessible to the Commission prior to application submission.
- You will need to release your USMLE, NBME, FLEX, LMCC or state examintation scores to the Commission.
- Payment of application fees.
There are additional items you may need to complete your application
If we need additional documentation, we will notify you by email.
Washington State law authorizes the Department of Health to obtain fingerprint-based background checks for licensing purposes. This check may be through the Washington State Patrol and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. We may require this if you have lived in another state or if you have a criminal record in Washington State. This would be at your own expense.
Other Items May Include:
- Postgraduate Training Program Director Verification and Evaluation of Training (PDF)
- Associate Professor or Higher Verification (PDF)
- Malpractice History (PDF)
- 90-day Temporary Practice Permit
- Recognized Jurisdictions for 90-Day Temporary Practice Permits
Reactivate Your License
If your license has been expired over two years from the expiration date, you will need to complete the application below: