Welcome to Washington and to the Medical Commission, the state medical board of Washington! Our goal is to license you as accurately and quickly as possible.
In Washington, you have three application options:
- Washington State Physician (MD) online application - for Washington State licenses only.
- Expedited licensure through the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact Commission (IMLCC)
- Uniform Application through the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
You can view all options and forms on this webpage
Best Practices for Quick Licensure
- To avoid delays, submit all application information and forms at one time with payment;
- Complete the FBI fingerprints as soon as possible to expedite review of your application, as this is the longest part of the application process;
- Email Medical.Licensing@wmc.wa.gov for any questions.
Process for Non-expedited licensure:
- A Commission licensing representative will contact you with a status update via email once an official review of your application has been conducted.
- After receiving the application and fee, you may be selected for fingerprinting. If selected, you will receive either an FBI fingerprint packet in the mail OR an email with instructions on how to complete the process. You may obtain fingerprinting at any local law enforcement agency or any facility that provides professional fingerprinting services.
- Once all documents are received and background checks are cleared, our staff will review the completed application and issue your license. This review and approval of a complete application takes less than fourteen (14) days for 99 percent of our applicants.
- We will email you when the license is issued but you may check your status at any time on the Provider Credential Search site:
If you have any questions please contact us via email: email@example.com or at 360-236-2750 option #1.
I am an applicant