Washington Physicians Health Program & HEAL WA
Washington Physicians Health Program (WPHP)
Health-care professionals are important guardians of their patients' health, but are often hesitant to seek help for their colleagues or themselves. WPHP provides services to physicians, physician assistants, dentists, and veterinarians, as well as students and residents of these disciplines. Active licensure is not a requirement for participation.
WPHP evaluates for possible health conditions that could impair a providers' ability to practice with skill and safety. If there is no underlying health condition, WPHP can put concerns to rest. If there is a health condition, WPHP provides resources for support and/or treatment and facilitates rehabilitation through monitoring. WPHP also provides advocacy for participants.
Health Evidence Resource for Washington State
You may have noticed a HEAL-WA fee ($16.00 per year) as part of your MD or PA license renewal. HEAL-WA is a collection of health information resources funded by license fees from selected healthcare providers in Washington State. Its mission is to provide evidence-based information to support patient care.
The HEAL-WA portal will be especially useful to those who are attempting to satisfy the continuing education requirements set forth by the Medical Commission. Some benefits of HEAL-WA to you as a Physician or Physician Assistant include:
- Access to full text journals and peer reviewed resources
- Free CMEs through DynaMed
Your active or inactive status MD or PA license number provides you with access to the HEAL-WA portal, but you will need to create a UW ID to log in. If you do not know your MD or PA number and would like to look it up, you may use the Provider Credential Search.
If you have further questions regarding HEAL-WA, select the HEAL-WA frequently asked questions link. If there are further questions, contact the HEAL-WA program at the University of Washington library directly: 206-221-2452.
More than 250 electronic textbooks
Includes drug guides, Harrison’s, Current Diagnosis & Treatment series, Clinics of North America series, an extensive collection of Traditional Chinese Medicine texts, mental health resources, information for patients, and more.
More than 6,000 full-text journals
- Alt-HealthWatch with full text
- Full-text articles and much more on the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness.
- AMED database
(Allied and Complementary Medicine Database)
- References to complementary medicine, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation, podiatry, palliative care, and more.
- CINAHL with full text
(Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature)
- References to nursing, biomedicine, alternative/complementary medicine, and consumer health literature; full text available.
- Cochrane Library
- The ‘gold standard’ for evidence-based health care, Cochrane reviews provide the combined results of the world’s best medical research studies.
- Clinically-organized evidence-based summaries for more than 3,000 clinical topics, created for use primarily as a 'point-of-care' resource.
(Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Network)
- GIDEON is an easy to use, interactive and comprehensive web based tool used for diagnosis and reference in the fields of tropical and infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy.
- Updated daily, Lexi-Comp provides drug and disease information to support informed, point-of-care decisions by physicians, nurses, and advanced practice nurses.
- MANTIS database
(Manual, Alternative and Natural Therapy Index System)
- Addresses all areas of alternative medical literature including chiropractic, osteopathy, homeopathy, and manual medicine.
- MDConsult Core Collection
- Full-text articles from over 80 medical journals and Clinics, 50 leading medical references, practice guidelines, clinically relevant drug information, and over 13,000 patient handouts.
- MEDLINE with full text
- The premier National Library of Medicine bibliographic database, providing access to citations from biomedical literature; some full text available.
- Natural Standard
- High-quality, evidence-based information on dietary supplements, functional foods, diets, complementary practices (modalities), exercises, and medical conditions
Other health profession programs
- Confidential Toll-Free Helpline: 1-800-446-7220.
- Providing confidential, professional assistance to the profession of pharmacy.
- "WRAPP serves to protect the health and safety of the public while acting as a health resource and support of rehabilitation to the impaired pharmacist."
Washington Health Professional Service (WHPS) for All Other Health Professions.