Disciplinary action as a result of a finding of unprofessional conduct can include the following:
- Informal Charges: MDs or PAs may agree to a Stipulation To Informal Discipline (STID) in which they do not admit wrong doing, but agree to take corrective action such as taking a specific course, participating in practice reviews and other types of monitoring. All STIDs are subject to public disclosure.
- Formal Charges: a statement of charges is issued against the MD or PA that gives them the opportunity to a formal administrative hearing with a health law judge presiding. Formal charges result in a final order. A final order can result in a dismissal if the charges are not proven, or could result in restrictions or conditions imposed on the MD or PA. All final orders are subject to public disclosure.
Formal or informal disciplinary action may include:
- Fines and/or cost recovery;
- Additional training or educational courses;
- Conditions or limitations on a license;
- Suspension or revocation of a license;