ALERT: Scam using medical license numbers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 2, 2021
Contact: Stephanie Mason
Office: (360) 236-2774
OLYMPIA, WA - The Washington Medical Commission (WMC) has learned con artists are calling practitioners pretending to be us and using new, increasingly believable tactics.
The fraud includes actual medical license numbers relayed during a call from our phone number. Victims are informed their license is temporarily suspended pending an investigation and told to go to nearby fax machines to receive suspension letters. Victims are told they cannot work under their Washington or Oregon license.
The WMC will never contact you about disciplinary action in this way. This technique is highly deceptive due to similar terminology and replication of our phone number. Do not send personal information, or money, or accept that your license has been in disciplined and stop work.
What to do
• If you or a family member receives one of these calls, hang up immediately.
• Do not trust callers who use threats to bully or frighten you. The WMC will never call to demand payment or suspend a medical license.
• Please help spread the word about this scam by sharing this information with your friends, family and colleagues. Further, the Federal Communications Commission recommends the following steps:
• If you get an inquiry from someone who says they represent a company or a government agency, hang up and call the phone number on your account statement, in the phone book, or on the company's or government agency's website to verify the authenticity of the request. You will usually get a written statement in the mail before you get a phone call from a legitimate source, particularly if the caller is asking for a payment.
• Use caution if you are being pressured for information immediately. If you receive a suspicious call, do not send personal information, or money, or accept that your license has been in disciplined and stop work. Call, 360-236-2706, or email the WMC right away. You can also file a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General's Office.
We are working with law enforcement, federal and state agencies to stop this scam.
The WMC promotes patient safety and enhances the integrity of the medical profession through licensing, rule-making, discipline, and education. Learn more about the commission at WMC.wa.gov. Follow the WMC on Facebook and Twitter.